"We Prevent Orphans"
In 2007 our adventure in Ethiopia was launched with a diligent effort to improve the living conditions of 23 orphans living in an extremely poor orphanage in the town of Nazaret. That experience prepared us for the next step of opening a care center that uniquely addressed the needs of the fatherless and the elderly. Today, we focus our efforts on stabilizing families so children do not suffer the consequences of brutal poverty. Our family sponsorship program is designed to prevent children from becoming orphaned by providing stability for their (primarily) single mother families and then empowering self-sustenance through micro loans for small businesses. We work in some of the most difficult areas of Ethiopia bringing hope to children and families, providing kindergarten education, and sharing the liberating Good News of Jesus Christ to unreached people.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
“We partner with the Church to prevent orphans.”
Mission 1:27 upholds the intrinsic value of human life, biblical principles and Christ’s command to support and uplift the poor. It is our privilege and responsibility to share resources entrusted to our organization to serve the poor and marginalized in Ethiopia. By working alongside Christian churches and other organizations, we will prayerfully endeavor to meet the most salient needs of the people we serve.
Our vision is to see all children in Ethiopia thrive in the safe, stable, loving, Christian homes of their first families.
In pursuit of that vision, Mission 1:27 extends practical support to families by:
- Implementing orphan prevention and family preservation projects that provide a holistic approach for the elderly, at-risk children and at-risk families
- Supplying ongoing needs assessment to support and ensure the stability of the family unit
- Helping children reach their full potential through education, Christian character-building life skills, and vocational training
- Extending support services to marginalized women, children and families in the community
- Empowering single parents and adult orphans to access skills training and employment enabling them to become self-sustaining